A few people have mentioned to me that they'd like to look at percentages again because they found it tricky. Here are a few tips for you to help you work out the Percentage of an amount:
* A percentage is a proportion or share in relation to a whole.
* 100% is a whole. If I have 20 oranges and eat 100% I eat 20 oranges.
* To help me work out percentages of amounts, I always work out 10% first as it is a great base to start with. To work out 10% you divide the total by 10. If there are 20 oranges in total 10%= 20÷ 10= 2.
* Now I know 10%= 2 I can work out 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%. I can do this because 80% is 10% x 8. I do 2x8=16. 80%=16. To work out 60% I do 10% x 6. This is 2 x 6=12. 60%=12.
* Also, once I work out 10% I know 5% because it is exactly half of 10%. If 10% of 20 oranges is 2 Oranges then 5% is exactly half of this. Meaning half of 2 oranges is one orange.
* One of the most difficult yet beneficial % to work out is 1%. It is so beneficial because if you work out 1% you can work out any percentage. For example, If 1% of an amount is 2. I can work out 36% by multiplying 2 by 36. To work out 96% I can multiply 2 by 96 etc.
* To work out 1% I divide the total number by 100. Meaning, if there are 20 oranges, I divide 20 by 100 to make 0.2.
I hope some of these points help those of you that find this tricky. If you need anymore help, please email me for support!