The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
The story is about a fish with shiny, multi-coloured scales named Rainbow Fish. He has blue, green, purple and shiny scales. One day a small blue fish asks him if he could have one of his shiny silver scales. Rainbow Fish refuses in a very rude manner. The small blue fish tells all the other fish that Rainbow Fish was being rude, and as a result the others do not want to play with him anymore. Rainbow fish is sad. When he encounters the little blue fish for a second time, he gives away one of his precious scales and sees the little fish's joy. With that one shiny scale gone, he immediately feels much better. Very soon the Rainbow Fish is surrounded by other fish requesting scales and he shares one of his shiny scales with the each of them. Soon everyone has one shiny scale, including Rainbow Fish. Rainbow Fish is finally happy.
Here is the story to watch :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9mryuEKkKc
Below are some suggested activities:
- Do you think Rainbow Fish is kind? Does his character stay the same throughout the story? Talk about how his behaviour made the other fish feel? e.g. I think the other fish felt …. when Rainbow fish was unkind/kind.
- Rainbow fish learns he can make friends by sharing his special shiny scales. What do you have that you can share with your friends? It doesn’t have to be an object, it could be a hug or a joke for example. Talk what you can share.eg. I would share ……
- Talk about what makes a good friend. Talk about your friends. Why do you like them? Speak in full sentences eg. ……. is my friend because ……
- Fishy phonics – Read the words in the cloud and then use your fishing skills to try and catch the matching picture cards from the river.
- Flash cards - Say the sound that appears on each of the pirate ships. How many sounds can you say correctly?
- How many words can you read and spell on the fish? See below
- Don’t forget Alphablocks:
- How many for these words can you spell independently?
dad mad sad gap got gas rat rip rock run red
put duck tuck muck chip chin chat chop lunch torch much
ship shop shut sheep shell shoe fish dish wish sheet
- Continue with reading from any of these 4 websites:
What do we need to remember? Finger spaces, sounds, High Frequency Words, capital letters for names, full stops.
- Rainbow fish learns he can make friends by sharing his special shiny scales. What do you have that you can share with your friends? It doesn’t have to be an object; it could be a hug or a joke for example. Draw and write about what you can share.
- Write about your favourite sea animal.
- Can you finish these sentences? If I lived in the sea I would …… If I was a fish I would…….
- Rainbow Fish was shown how to be a good friend. Write about what you think makes a good friend.
- Write a letter to the rainbow fish. Give him some new ideas for new games to play with his friends. There is a letter format below.
- Can you sequence the story? What happened first, next and last?
See below for ideas. Draw pictures and words or sentences.
Enjoy the work and send us photographs to:
Victoria Park - SullivanC17@Hwbcymru.net
Thompson Park - WatsonK7@hwbmail.net